27.18.100 STRUCTURES AND BUILDING PROJECTIONS IN REQUIRED YARDS.
(a) The following structures, building projections and features shall be permitted in all yards:
(1) Arbors and trellises, having a maximum height of eight (8) feet, except in no case shall any such structure be used to cover driveways located in required setbacks in the front 2/3 of the property;
(2) Awnings, canopies and covered patios, having a maximum height of eight (8) feet;
(3) Basements completely below grade;
(4) Eaves, projecting a maximum of three (3) feet of fifty percent (50%) of the required yard width, whichever is less;
(5) Chimneys, solariums, greenhouse windows and oriel bay windows projecting two (2) feet or less into the yard, provided that the outside face of the projections shall be at least three (3) feet from the property line;
(6) Balconies and decks projecting two (2) feet or less into the yard, excluding projections into interior side yards above the first floor, and provided that the outside face of the projection shall be at least three (3) feet from the property line;
(7) Flag poles, garden ornaments and play equipment;
(8) Steps which are necessary to provide access to the first floor of a permitted building, or to a parcel from a street or alley;
(9) Uncovered decks which do not exceed eighteen (18) inches in height within five (5) feet of property lines or thirty (30) inches elsewhere in required yards;
(10) Open parking spaces within a rear yard.
(b) The following structures, building projections and features shall be permitted in front yards:
Covered porches projecting two (2) feet or less into required front yards, and only when the required yard meets current yard setback requirements. The projection into the required yard may not be enclosed with walls or other material. The projection shall not exceed 50% of the width of the house as measured at the front property line,
(c) Location of detached accessory buildings. A detached accessory building located within the rear one-third of a parcel is exempt from the requirements for interior side and rear yards, provided that such structure:
(1) Shall be separated from the principal building by a distance not less than four (4) feet in width that is open to the sky, and
(2) Shall not exceed a height of nine (9) feet to the plate line and sixteen (16) feet to the roof peak, and
(3) Shall not extend above or beyond a daylight plane having a height of nine (9) feet at each side and rear property line and extending into the parcel at an angle of forty-five (45) degrees, excepting eaves and flues, and
(4) Shall be limited to one habitable floor on the ground level. Habitable floor for the purposes of this subsection shall mean that served by permanent access and containing windows and/or plumbing fixtures, but shall exclude basements.
(d) Maximum coverage of required rear yards. Accessory buildings shall not occupy more than fifty (50) percent of a required rear yard.